The IMCA Innovation Torchbearer Award honors individuals, institutions, or companies that have, over time, made significant contributions under the open category of "innovation." The award recognizes the efforts on the part of individuals or organizations that have demonstrated innovative ideas or initiatives impacting our industry.
- Overall impact of innovation on a national or international level
- Impact of innovation on respective insurance industry segment
- Degree of innovation deployed in executed creative strategy
Call For Entries
The nomination period for the 2018 Innovation Torchbearer Award is open from April 3, 2018 through May 5, 2018. Please click below to access our online nomination form. Please note that there isn't a character limit on the form, but about 1000 words is a good rule of thumb.
The 2018 Innovation Torchbearer Award will be presented to the winner during our Torchbearer Lunch at our 2018 Annual Conference. The lunch will take place on Monday of the conference.
Innovation Torchbearer Award Winners
- 2017 - Pennsylvania Insurance Fraud Prevention Authority (IFPA)
- 2016 - Insurance Institute for Business & Home Safety
- 2015 - Insurance Information Institute (III)
- 2014 - Swiss Re
- 2013 - esurance, an Allstate company
- 2012 - USAA
The Innovation Torchbearer Award was previously known as the Golden Torch Award. Past winners include:
- 2011 - Nanci Evarts, Vice President, Corporate Communications, Aon Services Group and IMCA Past President
- 2006 - John Bogardus, Jr., former Chairman/CEO, Alexander & Alexander
- 2005 - Donald Hurzeler, Senior Vice President, Zurich North America Commercial and Past President, Society of CPCU
- 2004 - Mark Wells, Jr., Publisher, Insurance Journal
- 2003 - Gay Silberg, Principal, Graham Silberg Sugarman, Inc.
- 2002 - Kathryn J. McIntyre, former publisher, Business Insurance
- 2001 - Walter J. Gdowski, President, Rough Notes Company
- 2000 - Edward F. Bolton, Canadian insurance executive and author, The Business of Insurance
- 1999 - Jan Lowther, Group Publisher, Canadian Underwriter
- 1998 - William E. Bailey, Founder and President, National Consumer Education Foundation
- 1997 - Edwin S. Overman, President Emeritus of the American Institute for CPCU and Insurance Institute of America
- 1996 - George Nordhaus, Founder/CEO of Insurance Marketing and Management Services
- 1995 - Alfred Malecki, Founder and Publisher, Business Insurance
- 1994 - John N. Cosgrove, Retired Editor, National Underwriter
- 1993 - Nicholas J. Matthews, former Senior Vice President, National Association of Independent Insurance Agents
- 1992 - James Osborne, retired CEO, Oregon Mutual Insurance Co.
- 1991 - Lowell Beck, former President, National Association of Independent Insurers